CCGC's Growing Together Project
Physical, emotional and mental health are closely related to what we put in our bodies on a daily basis. Unfortunately, for many children, the easier, cheaper options are often the unhealthiest, and obesity aside, fast food, sugar and soft drinks also increase the likelihood of behavioral issues such as attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
What if we could help students and clients establish a strong nutritional foundation early in childhood?
In the spring of 2020, students and staff rolled up their sleeves and planted the first seeds of CCGC’s new organic garden using EvanLEE Organics’ 4-Tier Indoor Growing System. Harvesting takes place every 23 days and over the course of the next year, this simple rack will produce 400 pounds of leafy greens for kids to eat and bring home!
But we’re only getting started!
A Taste of What’s Possible
- Add more racks to grow organic veggies
- Develop a health and wellness curriculum across CCGC
- Provide kids the therapeutic benefits of gardening
- Increase confidence by growing and harvesting food from scratch
- Teach children the responsibility for a living thing, that vegetables can taste good and that they can become more self-sufficient
- Encourage kids to develop healthy eating patterns that will stay with them throughout their lives