In addition to the opportunities provided as a member of the outpatient department, interns selected for the VOCA position will learn about this federally funded program for child victims of crime. They are part of a multi-disciplinary team made up of DCF, police, and school personnel and will be involved in the Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TFCBT) team, learning about the impacts of trauma on child development and the evidence-based practice utilized to treat these children.
VOCA Placement Requirements:
- Available to Clinical/Second Year Master’s Students in Social Work, Mental Health Counseling, or related field
- Experience with children. Basic knowledge of child development.
- Must commit to at least 15 hours/ week for at least nine months
- Tuesdays 9am-2pm; Thursdays 2-3pm are required
- 1st Wednesday/ month 1pm
- One evening: Tuesday and/or Thursday until 8pm required.
- Allowed 2 weeks of vacation; otherwise, expected at placement during school breaks unless special circumstances apply and are arranged with supervisor.
- Proficiency in writing and communication skills.